top of page
Search

3 Famous Colonial Taverns


The Tun Tavern


City Tavern

City Tavern, located at the corner of Second and Walnut Streets, was one of the most important taverns in Philadelphia during the colonial period. It was a popular meeting place for politicians, businessmen, and other influential people in the city. The tavern was built in 1773 by Samuel Fraunces, a New Yorker who also owned Fraunces Tavern in New York City. City Tavern was known for its elegant and refined atmosphere, as well as its high-quality food and drink.


In the years leading up to the American Revolution, City Tavern became a hub for revolutionary activity. It was the site of many meetings of the Sons of Liberty, a group of patriots who opposed British rule. Many of the Founding Fathers, including George Washington, John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson, were regulars at City Tavern. In fact, it was at City Tavern that the First Continental Congress met in 1774 to discuss the growing tensions with Britain.


Today, City Tavern is a popular tourist attraction and restaurant that offers a glimpse into colonial life.


Tun Tavern

Tun Tavern was founded by a brewer named Samuel Carpenter in 1685, making it one of the oldest taverns in Philadelphia. It was located on the waterfront and served as a gathering place for sailors, merchants, and other travelers. Tun Tavern was known for its beer, which was brewed on-site using ingredients imported from England.


During the colonial period, Tun Tavern was a popular meeting place for members of the Continental Marines. In fact, it is believed that the first Marines were recruited at Tun Tavern in 1775. The tavern also served as a gathering place for other military organizations, such as the Pennsylvania Militia.


Today, Tun Tavern is no longer in operation, but it is remembered as an important part of Philadelphia's colonial history. The site where the tavern once stood is now a parking lot, but a plaque marks the spot where it once stood.


City Hotel

The City Hotel, located at Third and Market Streets, was one of the most famous taverns in Philadelphia during the early 19th century. It was built in 1794 and served as a hotel, tavern, and restaurant. The City Hotel was known for its luxurious accommodations and fine dining, and it was a popular destination for wealthy travelers.


During its heyday, the City Hotel was the site of many important events and gatherings. In 1812, it hosted a banquet for the Marquis de Lafayette, who was visiting the United States as part of a goodwill tour. The City Hotel was also the site of the first meeting of the American Antiquarian Society, which was founded in 1812.


Today, the site where the City Hotel once stood is home to the Independence National Historical Park. While the hotel no longer exists, it is remembered as an important part of Philadelphia's colonial history.


42 views0 comments
bottom of page